Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chapter 4

July 4th, 2004 on Seneca Lake, NY

“Way to go, Mister I Know How to Use the Jet Ski!!  Now you have us stranded out here in the middle of a big fucking lake!” Emma basically screamed into my ear as I discovered we ran out of gas.  We were vacationing with my family on Seneca Lake for the holiday and had decided to go exploring.
“I do know how to use a Jet Ski!  We made it out here this far didn’t we?” I snapped back.
“Sure, but it seems to me that you forgot they need gas to run!!” she cried out a little quieter this time.  “So do they have paddles on these things when dimwits get stuck in the middle of nowhere?” she asked as she began leaning from one side to the next, literally looking for paddles.
I slapped my forehead and began laughing at her stupidity.  “No, Emmy,” I said in a mocking voice.  “They do not have paddles on here.  God, you really are a blonde sometimes.”
“Well you are a stupid boy, but I don’t hold that against you,” she huffed and crossed her arms in front of her chest.  She took a deep breath and said sincerely, “Patty, this isn’t good.”
“I know this,” I said as I looked up at the sky to see that twilight was quickly setting in and there were no other boats in sight.  We had decided to go to the less populated area of the lake and now we were basically stuck out here until someone thought to look for us.  My stomach was beginning to growl and I thought I heard Emmy’s growl a couple minutes ago. 
“So are you ready to go to college?” I asked her, trying to get our minds off of being stranded in the big lake.
She snorted, but realized what I was trying to do and obliged me.  “I am, but I’m nervous.  I’m excited to be actually out of dad’s house for several months at a time.  Especially with Grammy being gone now,” she said almost to herself.
Grammy had passed away a couple days after Emma graduated high school.  It was hard on all of us.  Grammy was just as much as my grandmother as she was Emma’s and I missed her a lot.  Dean had gone into a deep depression with his mother now gone, but luckily Emma was able to escape from the house without much of a fight.  He picked up even more overtime at the fire company and since he was getting older he would come home drunk wanting more to sleep than to beat his daughter around.
Emma had already taken over most of the house work due to Grammy’s failing health, so nothing much changed in her routine.  The house was always well taken care of and Emma was already a good cook.  She made sure that Dean had meals waiting for him when he got home, even if she wasn’t around when his car pulled into the drive.
“I’m just worried about dad,” she said softly.
Even after all the abuse the man did to her, she was still the loyal daughter and loved him.  I never understood how she could love him after how mean he was to her, but she kept saying that one day she will make him proud and make him realize that he really did love her.  My heart ached for the simple fact that she would never get her wish.  “He’ll be fine,” I said, trying to reassure her, knowing that the house would most likely go to shambles when she left for college.
“Don’t you wish you were going to college?” she asked, effectively turning the conversation to me.
I stood up and turned to sit with my back against the handle bars, so that I could face her.  “Yes and no.  I wouldn’t have minded playing college hockey, considering I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up, besides a hockey player; this seems to make the most sense for me.”
“You could have been a teacher,” she said as she looked into my eyes.  The look on her face as she stared at me made me realize that I probably would have made a good teacher.  In fact, her look made me believe that I could be anything I wanted to be.  She always had so much faith in me and I never understood why. 
“Yeah, that is one job I wouldn’t mind having…” I answered thoughtfully.  “However, right now my goal is to make it into the NHL.”
“I still think it’s exciting that you were drafted by Buffalo!” she said excitedly as she took my hands into hers.  “Can you picture playing for our hometown, in the arena we’ve been going to since we were little?!”
I smiled broadly, “I’ve already pictured it and dreamt about it more than you can ever imagine.”
“I better get your first Sabre’s jersey, after you play your first NHL game.”
“I thought I’d keep that,” I said, joking with her.
“Okay, yeah, sure.  I don’t think so!”
“Maybe I’ll forget where I came from by that point and act like I don’t even know you,” I said with a cocky grin.  As soon as the words were out of my mouth she pushed me off the Jet Ski and in the water I went.
I spouted out the mouth full of water I had taken in and grabbed up at her, pulling her into the warm water with me.
We were both out of breath from laughing, but decided to stay treading in the water for a little, since it felt good and we had nothing better to do.
“So what are you planning on doing with your life, now that you are done high school?”
“Like you don’t know?” she said with a mischievous smile.
“You still want to become a firefighter?” I asked, hoping she might want to find a safer job.
“Of course I do, it’s my dream.  I’m going to take summer classes starting next year so I can graduate early and get into the academy as soon as possible.”
“Aren’t you bummed that you won’t be playing soccer in college?”
 “I’ll be playing; it will just be for a community college though.  Its fine, I could care less.  I’m just happy to be able to get my college degree,” she said as she moved around to the back of me and hung on to me, piggy-back.
“Do you think you can really be done in a year and a half?”
“Sure, it’s just an associate’s in emergency management at Erie Community College in the city,” she said with attitude that made it sound like she was saying, “Duh.”  She changed her plans from going into Sports Medicine to the Emergency Management thing the week before she graduated from high school after she talked to Charlie, one of her dad’s co-workers.  They guy was very much like an uncle to her and in some ways, more of a father than Dean had ever been to her.
“Oh, I thought you were going to get your bachelor’s degree,” I said as I furrowed my brow.  I couldn’t help but think she might not make it into the fire academy and she’d be left with an associate’s degree that might not get her very far.
“Nah, not necessary.  To be an officer they are just requiring an associate’s degree.  However, I will probably get my bachelor’s through online school.
“Aren’t you a little too smart to become a firefighter?”
She pushed me under the water, pretending to be mad at me.  When I came back up for air she answered my question with one of her own, “Are you saying firefighters are stupid?”
“No, not at all.  I just see you working for the city as a planner or something,” I said, realizing how rude my original question really was.
She laughed, “Maybe someday, but I want to follow in my family footsteps.  I want to help others.  I want to make my dad proud of me,” she ended seriously as I watched her tanned, toned, bikini clad body climb back up onto the jet-ski.
I swam over to her and rested my arms on the bar where her feet were so that I could look up at her.  “I know I’m not your dad, but Emmy, I will always be proud of you.”
She looked down at me with tears beginning to form in her eyes and smiled, “I know you will be.”
I would count that as the 2nd time I made Emma cry, but tears of joy don’t really count.
A couple hours went by and still no one came out to look for us.  It was now dark and becoming very cool, especially for two people in just bathing suits.  By the time the fireworks on the lake began, Emmy was resting against my chest as I had my arms around her, trying to warm her up.  It felt comfortable and familiar.  I enjoyed having her in my arms and I loved the feel of her hair on my cheek as I rested my face on her head.  I laughed as she oo’d and ah’d at the fireworks display, like she did when we were little.  At one point she turned her head so that she could look at me.
“Why are you laughing at me?” she said loud enough so that I could hear her over the loud booms.
“Cause I think it’s cute,” I said as I poked her nose.
She stuck her tongue out at me and scrunched her nose.
“Stick that out again and I’ll make use of it,” I chirped at her.
She promptly slipped it back into her mouth, but kept her nose scrunched as she playfully glared at me.  I took my hand and placed it on her cheek, caressing it slightly with my thumb and leaned down hesitantly to kiss her.  I thought she would try and squirm away, but instead she met me half way and her lips melted against mine.  She twisted her body a little towards me so that we could be in a better position for this new act we were playing out on the jet-ski and I took full advantage of it by gaining access to her mouth. 
This was not the same kiss we shared a couple years ago.  This time we were older and Emma was more than ready for me, obviously having some practice.  I felt her tongue sweep my mouth and fought to gain control of me.  I amp’d up my own intensity and was rewarded with a soft moan that escaped from the back of her throat.  Not only were the fireworks lighting up the sky, but they were also illuminating my brain. 
My hand began to slip from her cheek, making its way down her throat towards her perky breasts, but everything was thwarted when we heard the motor of a boat near us and saw flashlights in the distance.
The kiss was quickly forgotten, just as it had been quickly started.  We both stood up and began waving our arms frantically about until my dad spotted us.


October 2006 – Marriott Hotel, Rochester, NY

I stood in the shower, letting the warm water wash over my body.  I had to bar David from coming in and joining me because I just wanted some alone time to think about what just happened.  The sex was amazing, except for the fact that I was kind of left wanting more.  As much as I believed I wouldn’t be left the same way the next time, the whole thing with me being here in Rochester and basically hiding from Patty made me feel like a piece of poop. 
Patrick and I were not a couple, we were best friends and we were free to date and fuck who ever we pleased.  We never hid secrets about that stuff from each other.  I always knew when he was with a girl, and he always knew when I was in a relationship with a guy.  Unfortunately, this was the first relationship I had with one of his teammates and I felt a little awkward about the situation; especially since he roommates with the guy.
Plus, I kind of got the feeling from David that he was slightly jealous of the relationship that Patty and I had.  I can imagine it would have been more than a little intimidating to be getting it on with your buddy’s best girl in your adjoining bedroom when he didn’t have anyone to keep him occupied, like last time.
I was mulling over all these things when David began banging on the bathroom door.
“Emma! Are you going to be in the shower forever?  I’m hungry!” he whined in a cute way.
I laughed as I said, “I’ll be out soon.”
“Okay…” I heard him say and then I heard pounding on the door to our room.
I quickly shut off the water and grabbed a towel, but I didn’t dare open the bathroom door when I heard the angry voice shouting on the other side of it.


“Booth!  Let me in!”  I yelled a little too loudly in the hotel hallway after I basically put my fist through the door.  I was just raising my fist again when the door opened and I found him standing barefoot in jeans and a long-sleeve t-shirt.
“What the hell, Katela?!” he said with his eyes wide.
I pushed my way into the room and growled, “Where is she?”
“Who?!”
I turned back towards David and grabbed the collar of his shirt.  “You know who I mean.  Where is Emma?”
“Get your fucking hands of me,” he said in an angered voice.
I was just about to drop my hands when I heard the bathroom door open behind Booth and a towel clad Emma stepped out from the steamed room.
“I’m right here,” she said calmly, but obviously more than pissed because I swear I could see the fire burning in her blue eyes.  “Do you have something to say to me?”
I dropped my hands into fists by my side as I began to glare at her, “Yes, why the secrets?  Since when do we have secrets between us?  Do you think I wouldn’t find out you were fucking him?”  The words came out with a little too much raw emotion.  I was probably going to be embarrassed about this whole thing playing out in front of Booth, but right now it didn’t matter.
“Since when is it an issue to know every person I am fucking, Kaleta?  Since when do you care?” she spat as she moved closer to me, completely ignoring the fact that Booth was standing there with an open mouth, shocked at the scene that was unfolding in front of him.
“Since…since…since I became a jealous ass, I guess,” I mumbled as I realized how much of an ass I was acting like.  This was not going to get me any brownie points.  If I was smart, I would have confessed my love for her.  However, I was stupid and still stuck on the fact that I was in no way ready to give her the life I felt she deserved.  “I’m sorry,” I said to both her and David.  “I was just annoyed that you wouldn’t tell me that you were here when I miss you a ton and would have liked to have some time to hang out with you,” I finished honestly and sickened at the fact that she could make me a bumbling idiot.  I was supposed to be the tough guy; not the guy who backed down from a fight because he was afraid of losing the one person that meant the world to him.
David nodded his head, accepting the apology.  Emma walked slowly over to me with tears in her eyes and wrapped her arms around me, despite the fact that she was only wearing a towel.  Something that my body didn’t let me forget.   “I’m sorry, Patty.  I just didn’t know what you’d say if you found out that we were together.  I didn’t want to make things awkward,” she confessed as I felt her tears soaking my shirt.
This would be the 2nd time I made Emma cry.  This time it was for being in love with her and her not having a clue that I did.   

No comments: