Monday, April 18, 2011

Chapter 10

A/N: Howdy readers!! I'm posting 2 chapters today because I completely forgot to post one yesterday. (One of the perks of posting a story that is already finished. hehe) Enjoy!!


August 1992

“Hey! You! What are you doing?” she called as I was knee deep in the creek that ran along side the park.  I looked up to find a girl with crazy, curly blonde hair that was sticking out all over the place with a couple plastic barrette’s holding it back in some places.  She was wearing cut off jean shorts and a tie-dyed t-shirt.  I instantly noticed some scrapes and bruises on her knees and a small bit of dirt on her face.  She looked like a wild child.
“I’m catching crawl-fish,” I said back to her.  By this point she was walking down the stream towards me, looking curious.
She jumped into the cool stream, splashing me and successfully scaring the crawl-fish out of the hole I was just in.  I threw my hands in the air and glared at her.  “Darn it!  Now you just scared them all away!” I spat at her.  Stupid girls!
Her eyes became larger and her face looked surprised.  “Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry!  I didn’t know,” she said sincerely.  “I was just trying to help.”
“Well jumping in the water does not help anything.  The key is to be slow and stand still as much as possible,” I said, calming my temper, as I bent back over to my fishing position.
She mimicked me and put her hands in the water next to me.  After several minutes of quiet I looked up and found her staring at me.  “Don’t you know it’s not polite to stare at people?” I asked smartly.
She bit her lip and quickly looked back down at the water, “I’m sorry.  I was just wondering your name,” she said quietly to her reflection.
“Oh, um, my name is Patrick.”
I watched her pick her head back up and smile brightly, “Nice to meet ya Patrick!  My name is Emma!”
“Sssh!” I said, not wanting her to scare the crawl-fish away, again.
“Oops! Sorry!” she whispered loudly.  “Do you live around here?”
Girls talk too much.  “Yes, right over there,” I said as I pointed over to my house that was just a block away.
“I live right over there!” she said, a little too loudly again.  However, this time I didn’t need to remind her because she quickly covered her mouth with her hand.  Once she waited a couple seconds she whispered again.  “My dad and me just moved here from the city to be with my Grammy.”
“Did you move with in Mrs. Kasyk?” I asked, now curious because I often visited Mrs. Kasyk with my mom on Sundays.
“Yup!”
“Huh, she never said anything about you…”
“It was kind of sudden,” Emma said shyly.
“Oh.”
“My mommy left us.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Me too…” she said to herself.
The silence over took both of us and then she squealed loudly as she ripped her hand out of the water.  “OUCH!  I think something just bit me!!”
I started laughing out loud as I picked up the crawl-fish she had basically tossed to me under the water.  I held it up and dangled it in front of her, expecting her to run off screaming.
“They have pinchers,” I squeaked out as I was still laughing hysterically at her initial reaction.  Once I stopped laughing I found her looking questioningly at it.
“That is sooo cool!” she said in awe.
My mouth dropped in surprise.  “Wait?! You aren’t grossed out by it?”
“No, why should I be?”
“Cause you are a girl.”
“I don’t think that has anything to do with anything,” she said with disdain dripping from her voice.
“Well, Katie down the street from me hates things like this,” I said trying to figure out what planet this girl was from.  Normally I didn’t want anything to do with them.  They definitely had cooties and screamed too much when you splashed them with water or when they got dirty.  This girl didn’t seem to mind any of those things.
“I guess I won’t be getting along with Katie anytime soon,” she said with a smile.
“Guess not.”
“Will you be my friend?”
I put the crawl-fish in my bucket and put my fist in front of me so that it was between us.  Instead of looking at me like some people might, she bumped my fist with hers, first on top, then bottom, then knuckle to knuckle, sealing our friendship.



April 10th, 2008

She waltzed into the police station with such an air about her.  The officer that had been chewing my ear off about how the Sabers’ could win the Cup, instantly became quiet when his eyes found her.  My heart skipped a beat when I saw her worried face.  I instantly got up and pulled her into my arms when she got close enough to me.
She didn’t let me hold her close for too long before she wrenched herself far enough back to see the cuts on my face.
“Jesus Patty! You swore you weren’t hurt!” she cried out, lightly touching the angry red lines on my face.
“I swore I wasn’t hurt from the accident,” I chuckled.
She promptly punched me firmly in the stomach saying something about how she hated me fighting and didn’t understand why I had to do it.  “Why didn’t you just invest your time in becoming a UFC fighter or something?!”
“Because if I was allowed to be in the ring with shorts and no t-shirt, the women would have to be pried off of me, effectively keeping me out of the fighting ring.  At least in hockey they can’t see my muscles under all my padding and sweater,” I said, laughing at my own joke.
She just shook her head, completely pulled away from me and picked up some of my equipment as she mumbled, “Pleeeeaasssseee.  You are so fucking pathetic.”
“You would swoon if you saw me…”
She didn’t even let me finish my sentence.  She cut me off when she snorted, “I already saw you naked in the tub when we were kids, after we got sprayed by that skunk you swore was a cat.  Believe me, I saw enough.”
She had me there.  I turned to the officer and yelled, “Thanks Larry!  See you at the next game!”
“Thanks for the tickets!” he yelled back like a giddy child.
“So you made friends with the cops?” Emma asked as she threw my gear bag in the back of the Escape.
“They were very nice,” I said defensively.
“I’m sure…” she said sarcastically.
Now this ruffled my feathers and there was obviously something going on because she seemed to be on the rampage with her smart ass remarks.  “Yo!  If you don’t want to be here to take me home, I will just call my mom.  You have one nasty attitude going on right now…” I said as I crawled into the passenger seat.
She put on her seat belt and left out a big whoosh of air, “I’m sorry Patty,” she said dejectedly.  “I just have a lot on my mind.”
“I can tell because you won’t stop biting your lip,” I whispered honestly.
She put the car in drive and we drove in silence for a time before she finally spoke up.  “He told me he loved me tonight,” she mumbled so quietly that I could barely hear her over the humming of the road.
“For the first time?” I blurted out, surprised at this new found fact.
“Yes, for the first time,” she snapped.
I put my hand on her knee and said, “I’m sorry, Emma.”  I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass for a change.  “I’m just kind of surprised because you two have been together for so long now.”
She looked over at me with tears in her eyes, but something told me that I wasn’t the one who put them there…well, at least not the only reason.  “I didn’t tell him I loved him back.”
As soon as the words were out of my mouth, my heart soared and it took all I had not to grin broadly.  “Why?” I said, tight lipped, holding in my emotions for the time being.  “Don’t you love him?”
I watched her take a deep breath and hold it in for a bit before she slowly blew it out.  “I think I do,” she paused.  “Fuck if I know,” Then the flood gates opened her mouth.  “He is amazing.  He treats me so well and I love being with him.  He asked me to go to Michigan with him this summer so that I can meet everyone that I haven’t met yet.  I love the way he acts protective of me and I enjoy the fact that we don’t need labels for our relationship.  It’s like we just coexist without all the shit that seems to go along with other people’s relationships.  It’s so easy that I guess I never thought about the fact if I love him or not.”
Once she was done, tension seemed to loom between us like a heavy humidity on an August summer night.  I finally couldn’t stand it anymore and I said, “But?”
“But?”
“Well, I’m assuming there has to be a ‘but’ in all of this?”
She left out a small laugh as she still gripped the steering wheel with her white knuckles.  “That’s the problem.”
“Huh?”
“I don’t know what the ‘but’ is.”
“Oh.”  My heart had now stopped and I felt the strangle hold take its place again.  I had to get myself into best friend mode again because Emma needed my help and I refused to be selfish.  So I did what I knew best, encouraged her.  “Emmy, you seem really happy with him and I’ve seen you look at him.  I’d say that it’s more than just a fuck buddy thing you’ve got going on with him.”
“You mean it?” she said with a small smile with the tears still clinging to her eyes, daring to spill over.
I smiled softly and nodded my hand as I squeezed her knee.  “I do, Emma.  I like Ryan a lot.  Besides, it’s not like he’s asked you to marry him.”



July 2008

“It’s so great to see you again!” Theresa, Ryan’s mom said as she hugged me tightly.  We were standing in the airport terminal after arriving from Buffalo.  Ryan was trading punches with his brother Drew as I overheard a comment from Drew about how Ryan ‘definitely picked up a hottie.’
“Thank you so much for inviting me along out with Ryan, Mrs. Miller,” I said with a smile.
“Please, it’s Theresa, my dear,” she said as she now pulled Ryan close to her.  “I hope you guys are hungry because I have a huge roast in the crock pot and I have your father peeling potatoes.”  Of course my belly growled in a happy response which left us all laughing hysterically as we walked out towards the car.
It was the beginning of July and we were here for the Miller Family annual reunion.  The whole idea was absurd to a girl who basically had a family that I knew nothing more about than their names.  It actually took a little coaxing for Ryan to get me go along with him because I was nervous about being with all of his family.  I had met his parents when they came to Buffalo a couple times this past season, but I had yet to meet the rest of his large family.
“So have you ever been to Michigan?” Drew asked me from the front seat.
“Nope, I haven’t done much traveling out of New York, save a couple trips to Ontario for some hockey games.”
“Oh?  So, you are a big hockey fan?”
“She grew up with Kaleta,” Ryan said as squeezed my hand and smiled at me.
“Oh, alright.  Will he be with the big club full-time this season?”
“We hope so,” I answered earnestly.
“That’s really cool that he can play for his hometown.  I always wished I could play for Detroit…” he said thoughtfully.
“Maybe someday you will,” I said with a smile.
“Maybe.”
Drew ended up being really sweet and a lot of fun.  Ryan’s parents lived outside of East Lansing in a semi-remote wooded area.  Ryan actually had a house just down from them that it was close enough to take a 4-wheeler back and forth.  Theresa dropped us off his house so that we could get settled and we promised to be at their house by 5pm for dinner.  I had an hour to explore Ryan’s “home.”  It was a beautiful rustic, wood home with lots of windows over looking the woods.
“Ryan!” I exclaimed as my voice echoed off the cathedral ceiling.
“Yes?” he asked with a big smile as he pulled me into his side with his arm wrapping low around my waist.
I looked up and whispered, “This is beautiful.”
He raised his eye brows in a mocking manner and whispered back, “You are beautiful.”
I was in the process of rolling my eyes at him when he pulled me around to the front of him and picked me up so that I could wrap my legs around him and hugged him tight.  I then took advantage of being close to his neck and playfully bit his neck.
“What are you doing, Em?!” he laughed out.
“Just biting you,” I answered back, giggling.  “You taste good.”
“Well I’m glad to hear that, now lean over here and kiss me you vixen!”
He didn’t need to ask twice as I leaned in and pressed my lips against his.  He immediately demanded entrance to my mouth with his tongue and kissed me deeply.  I threaded my fingers through his soft hair and tugged gently at it.  His one hand squeezed my ass roughly as his other hand pulled me firmly against him.  I faintly felt him turn so that he could press me up against the wall so that he could free his hands and pull off my shirt.
“Ry,” I breathed.  “What time do we need to be at your mom’s?”
“When we are done here,” he mumbled as he kissed my neck roughly.  I was going to protest but his hair tickled my skin as he moved down my neck to my chest, so instead it came out as a sigh.  Quickly he moved us to the large, soft, wrap-around couch and gently placed me on my back as he pulled his shirt off in all the same motion.  I flattened my palms against his smooth, muscular chest and ran them up and down as he undid my shorts and shimmied them off of me, leaving me naked on his couch.  I ran my hands down to the waist of his shorts and undid his so that he only had to step out of them.
Soon we were both naked and he was over top of me kissing me all over as I wrapped myself around him.  He coaxed me to roll over onto my belly and pulled me up onto my knees so that my ass was in the air.  He began grinding his thick erection against me as he played my sweet spot as a fiddle.  I cried out in pain and ecstasy as he entered me, stretching my semi-wet pussy around him.  His first couple strokes felt a little tight, but soon he was gliding in and out of me smoothly as he set a fast, hard pace.  I was crying out his name as he grabbed a fist full of my hair and pulled my head back firmly.  The slapping of our skin echoed in the open room, along with our heavy panting breathes.  Quickly the ecstasy came to a pinnacle as Ryan leaned over my and grabbed roughly onto my breasts as he shot his load deep into me, making me lose complete control.
The whole session was quick and raw with need.  I loved the fact that Ryan always seemed to need me because I constantly wanted him.  If he had a bad game, I knew we’d have a down and dirty sex session.  If they won, the sex was usually fun and experimental.  Either way, I knew I was getting some and I was always happy to give and receive.
“Bout time you two showed up!  I’m fuckin’ hungry!” Drew yelled at us as we pulled into the driveway on the 4-wheeler.  “Next time, save your sex sessions for after the meal?” he said with a sly smile.
Quickly Ryan was off the ATV and running after Drew, trying to tackle him.  By the time I walked around to the back yard, they were rolling around on the grass, laughing hysterically.
“Glad to see they never actually grow up,” Theresa said in a reflective tone as she walked up next to me.
“Are they always like this?” I asked, laughing at the hilarity that was ensuing.
“Yeah…I guess it’s from not actually growing up as normal brothers.  They always put so much pressure on themselves to succeed that they grew up faster than they probably should have.  Especially Ryan; he was always focussed on the next goal he set for himself.  I’m so glad that he has you.  From what he tells me, you two have a very run of the mill relationship and that is definitely a blessing with how his star has taken off.
“That’s me!  Little miss ordinary…” I said with a smile.
She took my hand and looked me straight in the eyes, “No, Emma.  From what I hear you are the exact opposite from ordinary.  You have come from a broken home but you’ve seem to have made it your goal to rise above and have a career that most people would run away from because of how dangerous it is.  Everyday you touch lives and everyday you prove that it doesn’t matter where you come from, you can still be who you want to be.”
Her words hit me like a brick wall.  I never looked at myself as a child who grew up in a broken home.  I just always looked at it as I had to stay focused to meet my goals.  If that meant working two summer jobs to stay in school, then that’s what I did.  My grandmother and the Kaleta’s were my support system.  The lack of love from my father was my motivation.  Everything I did was in hope to gain his love and approval, but instead I ended up making a stable life for myself without completely realizing it.




July 28th, 2006 – Emma’s Fire School Graduation

“Emma Jane!” my mom impatiently grumbled with hair pins sticking out from the side of her mouth.
Emmy stopped pacing for a moment and stood in front of mom, looking at her with nervousness dripping from every pore.  “Yes?”
“Stand still so that I can pin your hat to your mass of hair,” she said in her stern mother voice.
 A small huff came out from Emma’s mouth as she turned her back towards my mom so that she could be fixed up.  It looked funny to see her looking so formal in her Class A department uniform.  There wasn’t a spot of dirt or a fuzz to be found on her perfectly pressed get-up.  If it wasn’t for her hair pinned in a bun, she looked like the 20 other guys in her probationary class.  She was the only female to graduate this year and was the first woman to graduate at the top of her class.
Because of her being in training, we were only able to do a couple things together so far this summer.  One of those things included working-out together.  Her training work-out had to be worse than bootcamp and it officially kicked my ass some days.  However, I wanted to keep up with her as much as possible and it was definitely going to help me become stronger for the season.  I think I was more ripped than ever thanks to her.
As soon as I watched mom place the last pin in her hair, Emma started pacing back and forth again.  “Where is dad?!”
“I thought he had to be here because he’s an officer or something?” I asked.
“Oh, he will be here.  But he promised to meet me before hand so that I could just see him privately before hand,” she said obviously disappointed at the fact the ceremony was about to begin and he was nowhere to be found.
“Probies!” a loud voice echoed across the hall.
“That’s my cue,” she said almost sadly. 
I quickly pulled her into a hug and kissed her on the cheek.  “Smile, Emmy.  This is your day to shine.  Fuck him for not coming to see you before hand.”
She pulled back and tried to smile as she said thank you.  She hugged my mom and dad and went off to find her seat with the rest of the probies.
Emma was not the only probie to be graduating today that had a father already in the department.  That guy’s dad actually came on stage to pin his son.  Emma’s father was already on stage and outright refused to pin his daughter, leaving the honors to Charlie.
I was so pissed that I crumbled up my program and attempted to get up and leave.  My mom pulled me back into my seat and shook her head to remind me that I was here for Emmy.
As soon as the ceremony was done I promptly cornered Dean in the bathroom, catching him taking a swig out of his whiskey flask.
“What the hell is your problem, man?!  Your daughter just graduated at the top of her class and you couldn’t have the balls to pin her or even acknowledge her!” I spat at him.
“That’s none of your fucking business, boy,” he slurred at me.
“It’s completely my business.  She has loved you more than you will ever know and you treat her like shit, like she will never be good enough for you,” I pleaded.
“She will never be good enough.  She’s a whore like her mother.  Hell, she even looks like her mother…”
“She’s your own flesh and blood.”
“She’s nothing to me,” he spit at me.
“Well let me just fill you in on something.  She’s something to me.  She’s the most important person and my life and I will try somehow try and be the man she never found in you,” I said through my teeth as I slapped the whiskey flask out of his hands and stormed out of the bathroom.

1 comment:

I Love Canadian Boys said...

Ok, so after reading the first part of the story with Patty and Emma in the car, I have a feeling that Ryan is gonna propose to her... Please let me be wrong! I wish Patty said something in the car about how he felt.. I loved the ending! Going to read the next chapter :)